Week 9

I finally watched The Triplets of Belleville, which was on my "to watch" list for almost a year now with little to no follow-through. This class is finally helping  me watch things I want to watch/read and never give the time for.

I did not at all prep my significant other for watching this film with me.
When the film began with the old fashioned tunes, he was mildly amused, and boy was it entertaining to watch his reactions
twist and turn
for him to be
disgusted
with the art style.

He could not get over how "ugly" it was. I couldn't disagree more.
I've loved a lot of Don Bluth films, so I'm used to enjoying scratchy, weird, shapely warts and approaches usually deemed ugly. Obviously this isn't a Don Bluth film, but it is somewhat reminiscent of his tendency to push characteristics that were deemed ugly in his characters.
But even I was surprised at how weird the main cyclists was.
Crow-looking skeleton.

I thought the movie would focus on the triplets, due to the title, and was not prepared for the endearing and funny story of an old lady whose grandson (son?) was a cyclist, with the triplets as helpers as opposed to being the focus.
This is where I got blown outta the water.
I didn't know it was a comedy.
We were laughing, giggling, and just interested in what the hell was happening the whole time.
We went from hating to cheering for that damn fat dog.
Incredibly enjoyable, and although unnerving for my significant other at first, the lack of dialogue really made the movie so much better than it could've been otherwise.

That aside.

Of course, I read Persepolis.
Then, I watched the first few minutes of the movie.
I was very disappointed in the adaptation.
They switched around the delivery of certain lines for the sake of visual clarity in the film.
Again, this is one of those things I wish had just stayed in the comic.
Yes, the animation is fluid, nicely done, but it feels like it takes away from Marjane's personal touch in the comic.

I was mostly interested in her experiences as a little girl than as an adult, although both perspectives are incredible and necessary in the book.
I have nostalgic innocent memories of growing up in Cuba and not being able to talk about Fidel, in a very childish manner.
Running around, having those old timey records but never playing any of them, hearing music in English by Britney Spears, Celine Dion, and Michael Jackson on a walkman, but not knowing what any of them were saying because we only spoke Spanish.
They were odd times.
The lack of any understanding of what waving at a plane and saying "Bye Fidel!" meant. The weirdest shit you say as a child cause you don't know the gravity of your situation. I didn't realize what it meant when my mother went to jail for trying to leave Cuba as a "housewife" despite being a doctor.
All I understood was that we couldn't see her for a bit because she was busy being a doctor.

Comments