Week 3

This was an unpleasant experience to say the least.

The speech bubbles are so tight that the text is difficult to read, even after being magnified. I found myself having to read the same text bubble twice or even thrice. The panels are nonsensical, with character appearing and reappearing with no real cohesion. The passing of time isn’t communicated clearly to the point where I can’t tell what has happened right afterwards or after a prolonged bit.

I was left confused and angry by the end of 5 pages.

I don't care who the boy is, or who anyone in this is. I cannot get myself to focus on a single blurb of text. It's not so nonsensical its funny. It's not so nonsensical it's eliciting a feeling of intentional eerie discomfort. It's not so nonsensical that it's a critique of something greater being ridiculous. It’s not simulating what it would be like to be in a drug induced hallucination.

Most important of all, it is not simulating a dreamscape of any sort in a way that is readable to the audience. “But that’s the intent! It’s supposed to be confusing and bad!”

There are countless web comics up right now made by children that illustrate the confusion and transition between time, places, characters with less of an assault on the mind than Little Nemo in Dreamland.

I gave myself a break and decided to read Calvin and Hobbes instead.

Usually this type of comic would rub me the wrong way. A child depicted as having adult understanding of situations always felt as if the author was trying to enact some sort of revenge or produce a comeback for a 20-year-old argument they had over some trivial topic to get their “Ah-hah!” moment.

Calvin and Hobbes does not feel that way. It captures the funky, weirdness of being a child with an overactive imagination while acknowledging broader topics. It just has such a perfect blend; it was a great read and something I’d be happy to revisit and read more of after this assignment.

For the cartoonist's track, I started thinking about how common the wisecracking toddler trope was a few decades back. I then thought about what equivalent of that we have today with webcomics. Maybe it's just me, but I kept seeing animal-focused web-comics retelling their personal lives with some animal they like to observe, so I made a mock comic of that.
Here are some popular examples.

It's a Birb Thing.
My Kitty and Old Dog
Saphie: The One Eyed Cat
Pet Foolery

It's very "aww" inducing
I posted it on my Instagram, as I do with most of my art, and I got much more feedback than my art usually does.









So I started thinking.

I've now planned to update the comic every two days, and make it an ARG (augmented reality game) of sorts. Slowly but surely I want to post hidden messages in them that hint at the cat's otherworldly aspects and deny anything if people find it.
I don't think it falls under the category of parody for these types of comics, but it's a new spin on a comic that is usually accepted as representing real life without a second thought.

Comments